"Every day starts with a blank canvas. What picture will you paint for all to see today?" ~ Dan Waltz

Sunday, May 19, 2013

Paying for an autograph


"Autographs should be given free as an appreciation to the people who supported them and made them who they are today, not sold.” ~ DW

Like thousands of other people I attended Comiccon 2013 this year. I fought the traffic only to get there to fight the crowds. This was my fifth year attending. This also was the first year I have ever seen crowds like this.

With elbow-to-elbow room people pushed there way through a sea of people, passing by table after table, because you are afraid to stop and take look; afraid to get run over. You were grateful for the clearings, which were far and few between, were you could breath your own air.

The clearings happened to always be in front of the little guys, the shy, and the meek; the ones with smaller displays and little voices. If you didn’t look, and sound like a big shot, you were sure to be passed by; with too much to see, and too little time to see it all. 

I go every year to see the talent, and give support. I usually support the ones, who stand out as being unique, different and that have a quality product. These usually aren’t the big shots, who just do the same old same-old stuff that sells.

It’s good to see the stars of your favorite movie or television programs as well. They are usually from past, some are just washed up TV & Movies stars trying to milk the fans for another dime by pedaling their autographs for outrageous prices.

Selling ones autographs to me is a huge slap in the fans face. They should be free to the fans, who have supported their careers, and made them the star that they are, or in most cases were. It should mean a “thank you for your support” over the years, not and extra 40-60 bucks.

Keep this in mind the next time you go pay for an autograph. Without that extra $40-$60 dollars you’re about to give them, your support as a fan meant very little to them. 

2 comments:

  1. Charging for autographs has always bugged me. To me, if someone is a big enough celebrity that anyone might consider spending $50 to get their autograph, then they probably made a bucket of money in years past, much of it from the same fans they're now charging for a signature...not really my fault if they didn't save for retirement. Maybe that's harsh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand that they have to charge to keep the lines down, and I'm good with that as long as you are getting something other than a signature in return. Maybe a special photo of them, made for that event. One you can't get anywhere else. But, when I see them charging $40 for you to stand next to them while whoever you're with takes a photo from a cell phone, it's a bit much and greedy. And more cash to sign something that you brought in yourself. I don't get it. I guess I'm not star struck by anyone that badly. They are just people who were fortunate enough to have a following to get them in the position they are in or in most case once were in. It's sad that people put people so far up on a pedestal that it comes to that. Jumping off my soap box now.

      Delete